The Atlanta Bicycle Coalition congratulates the newly-elected Board of Education for Atlanta Public Schools! Thank you for your tireless commitment to developing and supporting the next generation of leaders.
Photo credit: Rand Lines Photography
Atlanta Board of Education
District 1: Katie Howard
District 2: Aretta Baldon
District 3: Michelle Olympiadis
District 4: Jennifer McDonald
District 5: Erika Mitchell
District 6: Eshé Collins
District 7 At-Large: Tamara Jones
District 8 At-Large: Cynthia Briscoe Brown
District 9 At-Large: Jason Esteves
Earlier this year, we worked with partners to develop policy recommendations for the Board of Education, to make it possible for kids to travel safely and sustainably to school:
- Create Safe Routes to School Plans: Atlanta Public Schools works with Atlanta and Georgia Departments of Transportation to create a Safe Routes travel plan for each school.
- Improve Street Safety for Students: Atlanta Public Schools works with Atlanta Department of Transportation on street safety improvements for students who don’t receive bus service because they live inside the “walk zone.”
- Speed Camera Program Transparency: Atlanta Public Schools shares data from its speed camera program transparently, in order to provide accountability, prevent racial profiling associated with police enforcement, and inform street design.
- Advocate for MARTA Youth Fares: Atlanta Board of Education members advocate for an equitable MARTA fare structure that makes transit affordable for families and free for young people.
- Implement Sustainable Education Curriculum: Atlanta Public Schools adds sustainable transportation education to the curriculum for all students.
- Schools Set Multimodal Parking Standards: Atlanta Public Schools empowers local school leadership to set their own parking standards for cars, bikes, skateboards, and scooters.
We're excited to work together to create an Atlanta where everyone moves safely, easily, and sustainably throughout the city, including our young people!