Rational For Protected Bike Lanes on Peachtree Street
WHY NOT PICK A DIFFERENT STREET?
- Peachtree hosts the majority of businesses, and people riding bikes are more likely than drivers to stop and shop because they notice the smaller signs and store footprints of local businesses.
- Bike lanes already exist on Peachtree Street between Peachtree Center Avenue and Pine St but they end abruptly and need to be connected.
- People already bike on Peachtree and business owners want customers to arrive safely.
- Bike share stations will be on Peachtree Stree.
- Peachtree is Atlanta’s signature street.
- Peachtree attracts tourists, most of whom are arriving via transit.
WILL LIMITED PARKING HURT BUSINESS?
- Quite the opposite! People who bike shop at local businesses more often than people in cars. They might buy less on any one trip, but they spend more over time.
- Bike share stations will be placed on Peachtree Street. Without bike lanes, these stations risk low use. Bike share will increase annual city revenue. Without bike lanes on Peachtree, bike share users will go the opposite direction.
PEOPLE ALREADY BIKE, SO WHY CHANGE IT?
- The fact that people already bike on Peachtree is one of the biggest reasons to make it more bike friendly. Bike lanes are a great way to calm traffic, and let drivers and bikers arrive faster and safer.
- The alternative options (W Peachtree & Spring) are one way roads. Bike lanes on one way roads are confusing. Further, because downtown is not a grid-block system, many people on bikes will not know to cross to another street, and may bike in the wrong direction, thus creating a dangerous situation for people biking and driving.
Advocate on Social Media
Send a tweet about why protected bike lanes are needed on Peachtree Street.
Be sure to use the following tags, and tag businesses on Peachtree that you frequent.
Hashtags to definitely use: #Bikelanes4Peachtree, #CompleteTheStreet, #MidtownATL
For those who #liketohashtageverything, here are some extra's you can use: #BikeBetterAtl, #MidtownAtlBikes, #AtlBikeShare, #WeLoveAtl, #MidtownATL, #PeachtreeStreet