Lee Street in Southwest Atlanta represents a tremendous opportunity. Currently a five to six lane arterial with speeding cars and unsafe crossings, Lee is flat and connects many neighborhoods with Downtown Atlanta and the Atlanta BeltLine's Westside Trail, as well as five MARTA stations and Fort McPherson.
We want to transform this dangerous barrier into a community-centered street with safe and connected bikeways and improved crossings.
- Received a grant from PeopleForBikes through the Green Lanes project to create visuals illustrating the street's potential (see above - thanks to our wonderful volunteers Matt and Marco) and spur community engagement on Lee Street.
- Identified a community leader who organized a series of listening sessions in 2015 to gather neighbor feedback and spark ideas.
- Hosted a "Tweet and Greet" along with People for a Livable Lee Street and WeCycle Atlanta on February 14, 2015 to get the community's input on what biking and walking on Lee Street is really like.
- Petitioned the state transportation agency to restripe the Lee Street (and Peters Street, which connects via Castleberry Hill) in a way that would make it easier for the City of Atlanta to install a multi-use trail or protected bikeway on Lee Street. Status: the request was granted but the contractor did not receive a change order in time to make the change. This will not prevent the city from installing the trail or bikeway, however.
- Asked city planners and elected officials to invest in transforming Lee Street into a street safe for biking and walking
- Atlanta Regional Commission included funding for Preliminary Engineering (first phase of any project) in the draft Transportation Improvement Plan update so the City of Atlanta could begin to design the trail facility along Lee Street. This TIP is expected to be approved in March/April 2016.
- Currently we are requested permission from GDOT to install temporary protected bike lane to demonstrate the project
Stay up to date on what's happening with Lee Street by liking this page!