10 - 15 hours/week, $15/hour;
Eligible for college credit.
Spring 2022; January 10 - May 13
The Atlanta Bicycle Coalition seeks a communications intern who is interested in applying their knowledge to help rebrand the organization under a new name that reflects our updated strategic plan. This internship is paid at $15/hour and offers a flexible, remote work schedule.
The Atlanta Bicycle Coalition envisions an Atlanta where everyone moves safely, easily, and sustainably throughout the city. Our mission is to reclaim Atlanta’s streets as safe, inclusive, and thriving spaces for people to ride, walk, and roll. Our advocacy and programs focus on creating a safe, equitable, and sustainable mobility experience in Atlanta for people who walk, use wheelchairs, take transit, bike, skate, ride scooters, etc. We support people who currently utilize such modes and strive to inspire more people to adopt sustainable mobility into their transportation routines. The Atlanta Bicycle Coalition aims to foster an environment that recognizes, respects, and values different backgrounds and talents and actively works toward racial equity and social justice.
The Atlanta Bicycle Coalition’s communications team involves our staff members and a board committee dedicated to marketing and communications. The communications team helps the organization fulfil the following strategic goals:
- Make streets measurably safer for people biking, walking, and using scooters or wheelchairs.
- Make transit work better for people.
- Inspire more people to choose to use sustainable transportation instead of single-occupant cars.
- Ensure we have accountable and engaged political leaders.
- Grow inclusively and sustainably.
The Spring 2022 Communications Intern will accomplish the following in support of fulfilling our strategic goals:
Collaborate with the Atlanta Bicycle Coalition’s staff, board, contracted branding agency, and pro bono public relations agency to operationalize the organization’s rebranding process:
- Transition all web and social media content to new web domain and social media handles.
- Update new brand identity (name, logo, fonts, colors) across all public facing platforms.
- Assist in developing rebranding communications and public relations strategy, in consultation with staff, board, contracted branding agency, and pro bono public relations firm.
- Complete other communications-related duties as assigned including editing and drafting content and graphics for newsletters, emails, blog posts, webpages, and social media posts.
- Has created and managed social media and web content and platforms
- Is active in neighborhood, community, or campus organization
- Is proficient in graphic design platforms such as Canva and/or Adobe Suite
- Is familiar with the Atlanta Bicycle Coalition’s strategic plan and guiding principles
- Knows principles of graphic design, branding, and strategic communication
- Is highly organized and detail-oriented
- Is resourceful
- Is an effective communicator
- Is collaborative and team-oriented
- Is interested in entering nonprofit or sustainable transportation field
- Is passionate about advocacy, equity, and sustainable transportation
Hours, Compensation, and Benefits
The intern will work for 10 - 15 hours/week, compensated at $15/hour.
This internship is eligible for college credit, and we can be flexible to fit your degree program’s internship requirements (required number of hours, evaluation and reporting, etc.) and/or career goals. Applicants are not required to be enrolled in a degree program in order to apply.
Our team of six enjoys forging change in the culture and infrastructure of the city we love, and we are looking for a community-minded Atlantan who is on board with our vision, mission, and values to join our team.
Atlanta Bicycle Coalition is currently a remote workplace. While we are conducting our work virtually, the intern will receive consistent and dedicated supervisory attention to advance knowledge, skills, and expertise in communications and in working for a nonprofit in the transportation advocacy field. This internship will provide an opportunity to learn from our staff and board, network with branding and public relations partners, and make a significant impact on the Atlanta Bicycle Coalition’s work. Our diverse staff share a passion for our mission, support and celebrate one another’s successes, love a good laugh, and are committed to inclusion and equity.
Send resume, cover letter, and a work sample* to [email protected] with the subject line, “Communications Internship Spring 2022.”
*Work samples may include communication/graphic design portfolios, social media accounts candidates have managed, links to websites/webpages candidates have worked on, or links to writing samples.
Interviews will be conducted virtually and on a rolling basis. Eligible candidates will be contacted if selected for an interview. Applications accepted on a rolling basis until Monday, December 13.
The Atlanta Bicycle Coalition aims to foster an environment that recognizes, respects, and values different backgrounds and talents. The Atlanta Bicycle Coalition does not discriminate in its staff, board, volunteers, volunteer committees, or recipients of services, and will not tolerate unlawful discrimination or harassment on the basis of race, color, religion (including religious dress and grooming), sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, military or veteran status, genetic information, or any other protected category. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment including, but not limited to, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation, and training.