Are you a strategic thinking grammar nerd who always knows the right thing to say, has an eye for design, believes in the value of active transportation, and is a storyteller at heart?
If you have all that going on and two+ years experience in communications or marketing, you should apply to be our next Communications Manager! Help us keep the momentum going and tell our story to a larger audience in the years to come.
The Communications Manager will support the Atlanta Bicycle Coalition (ABC) in working towards a city where biking is a safe and convenient form of everyday transportation, through storytelling, strategy, and by amplifying the voices of those who need the change we seek. The person in this position will set our communications strategy, manage our use of tools including social media, manage and create content for our websites and e-newsletter, contribute to press releases and seek earned media, manage graphic designer(s) and communications intern, and guide donor/member and advocacy communications. We’re looking for a strategic thinker with a communications background and project management experience. This is a full-time position with a pay range of $35,000-$45,000 and benefits including health and dental insurance and a retirement savings plan.
Founded in 1991, the Atlanta Bicycle Coalition is Atlanta’s voice for better biking. We envision a city where bicycling is a safe and convenient form of everyday transportation, where people of all ages and communities have access to a connected network of safe bikeways. We see bicycling as a tool for community building, personal and public health, and transportation equity, and seek to promote bicycling for transportation in particular. Our programs include Atlanta Streets Alive, an open streets initiative, safety and Earn a Bike workshops, and advocacy campaigns for protected bikeways, safer streets, an equitable bike share system, and policies that support bicycling.
Additional details below. Apply today by submitting a letter to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Communciations Manager” in the subject. Applications accepted on a rolling basis until the position is filled, in order to find the right person for this key role. We anticipate a January start date but have some flexibility for the right candidate.
About the position
The Communications Manager tells the story of our work, conveys our initiatives to a public audience in a compelling way using words, images, and video, and makes a key contribution to our advocacy strategy. Some evening and weekend availability is required due to the nature of working with volunteers and events.
- Communications and marketing strategy
- Manage a communications team that includes the Executive Director, a Communications Committee made up mostly of ABC board members, the ABC Events Coordinator, and an intern.
- Website: serve as webmaster, generate and edit content, manage atlantabike.org and atlantastreetsalive.com using Nationbuilder.com (an all in one Content Management System)
- E-newsletters: write the majority of content, but also gather and edit stories from other staff and volunteers
- Social media: set strategy for all content, generate some social media posts and manage an intern and one other staff person generating other content. Current channels are Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.
- Video: manage produced videos, generate simple videos for social media
- Photo management: use photo management tools (Flickr and Box) to store and organize photos generated by professional and volunteer photographers
- Visual materials (print and digital images): manage graphic designer, plus some editing of existing designs, create basic graphics if needed
- Copy editing: must have a a strong eye for typos and other errors
- Support other ABC team members on projects including membership drives, advocacy campaigns, and event materials
Skills & Qualifications
- Experienced creative project manager
- Excellent writer with accessible writing style.
- Confident and clear verbal communications
- Discerning eye for graphics/visuals and ability to make edits to graphics using Adobe Suite.
- (Skills in graphic design, photography, or videography a plus but not a requirement of this position.)
- Experience using common modern communications tools such as apps, cloud-based document management, social media management tools, e-newsletter delivery services, and website content management. Tools we currently use include Nationbuilder.com, Adobe Creative Suite, MailChimp, Hootsuite, and Google Drive.
- Experience managing a budget and vendors (especially printers)
- Experience with communications for fundraising and advocacy and/or policy
- Experience using social media including Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram
- Some knowledge of multimodal transportation and bicycling trends and best practices; commitment to equitable access to sustainable transportation
- Comfortable working within the constraints (and opportunities) of a small nonprofit seeking big change
Experience & Training
- 2+ years experience in a similar communications role, preferably for a nonprofit or small business
- Degree in Marketing, Media, English, or Communciations, or equivalent experience
Submit a letter making the case for yourself as the best candidate for this role, along with a resume or C.V. to email@example.com with subject line “Communications Manager.”