This instructional group ride will get you pedaling toward the benefits of biking to work, to school, for errands, or to connect to MARTA.
What to expect: a bike ride for riders looking to get back on their bike and explore their surrounding community.
When we gather, we’ll assess your aspiring commute using the collective knowledge of participants and the aid of route-mapping apps. We’ll also discuss useful gear, including what you’ll need for various weather conditions.
Next, we’ll embark on a 60-minute, round-trip ride of four to five gentle miles. (note that the segment between the two transit stations will be done on the train). On the ride, we’ll
- Take it slow — staying together, safe and supportive
- Experience Atlanta’s existing bicycle facilities, like paths, single-directional bike lanes and sharrows
- Ride safely on streets without bike lanes by exercising our legal right to “take the lane”
- Tour the bike facilities available at a MARTA station and use a free loaded Breeze card to hop on the train from the West End MARTA station to Oakland City MARTA station
How to prepare
Please bring a bicycle in good repair that fits you and a helmet. We strongly recommend you also bring
- Sneakers or other appropriate closed-toed shoes
- Comfortable, appropriate clothing for being outside and active
- A friend or three!
Please arrive promptly so all participants can benefit from the full time allotted for this instructional experience.These free classes are provided with the support of the Georgia Governor's Office of Highway Safety.
1332 SW Metropolitan Pkwy
Atlanta, GA 30310
Google map and directions