The Atlanta Bicycle Coalition works closely with city leaders in Atlanta to implement policies that make it safer and better to bike in Atlanta!
Bike lane cleanups
- Our ask: We are asking the city to prioritize bike lanes for street sweeping to make all bike lanes clear of debris, trash, and gravel.
- Challenges: Regularly scheduled street sweepings don't always include streets with bike lanes, and bike lanes generally need to be swept more frequently than other types of lanes.
- Progress: The City of Atlanta agreed to dedicate funding and energy to keep protected bike lanes clean.
- Our ask: ABC encouraged adoption of this innovative street design manual by Atlanta City Council in 2015.
- Challenges: Some NPUs and stakeholders requested changes
- Progress: The draft plan is being updated
- Our ask: ABC is planning an effort promote equitable access to bike share in underserved communities and to raise awareness of bike share's potential as a last-mile transit option.
- Challenges: Funding for bike share is through sponsorship and advertising, so stations in underserved communities may need to be subsidized.
- Progress: ABC received grant funding from the Atlanta Regional Commission to conduct a text-based survey about how people are using or could use bikes for last-mile transportation in their communities. The survey is expected to launch in March 2016.
We also serve on the following committees - if you have questions or would like to share ideas, please contact us!
- Renew Atlanta Infrastructure Bond Technical Advisory Committee: ABC's goal is to provide technical assistance and oversight on implementation of bond transportation projects.
- Atlanta BeltLine/Atlanta Streetcar Technical Advisory Committee (TAC): ABC's goal is to improve bicycle safety and planning around the Streetcar.