- Get involved
- Buy stuff
We're hiring our first Communications Manager!
The Atlanta Bicycle Coalition (ABC) is looking for a Communications Manager to tell the story of our advocacy, outreach, education, and events.
So much of our work making Atlanta better by bike happens behind the scenes, in meeting rooms and classrooms, over conference calls, on bike lanes and trails, and at the office. Basically, this revolution is not being televised.
That's why we're so excited to be hiring a communications manager. Your role will be to share our work and all the exciting bike-related happenings in Atlanta with ABC members and supporters, decision-makers and elected officials, potential funders, and the general public.
Our ideal candidate is creative, strategic, and results-driven. We want someone who is adept at prioritizing opportunities and needs, is highly organized, and enjoys working in a team environment in which strong and strategic communication content is key to organizational success. Not only that, but you’re highly motivated by ABC’s vision, mission, and goals, and see biking as an ideal tool for creating livable communities. Strong communications strategy, design, and execution experience are critical to success in this role.
The Communications & Program Manager will be responsible for creating and maintaining an active and effective marketing, communications and public relations program, as well as some grant reporting and programmatic duties. This position will set the direction and guide the strategy for all external communications to consistently articulate, enable and fulfill ABC’s mission. Key responsibilities include managing a redesign of the website, and developing and implementing marketing and communications campaigns that align with overall ABC organizational goals, objectives, and initiatives.
See the job responsibilities below, and apply for the job here.
With partial attribution to the Washington Area Bicyclist Association, which is also filling a communications position.
Strategy, Writing & Editing
- Set organizational strategy for communications and marketing
- Create and edit articles, etc. that inform various stakeholders of ABC’s ongoing activities and their contribution to the organization’s mission
- Draft content for advocacy campaigns
- Create content for marketing and promotions of events, fundraising campaigns, and other ABC activities.
- Attend public meetings and comment on behalf of ABC in support of Executive Director
- Collaborate on advocacy and campaign content with Executive Director
Social Media, Newsletters, Website
- Create content and provide response on Facebook and Twitter. Oversight of Instagram and Flickr.
- Maintain and update www.atlantabike.org and www.atlantastreetsalive.com
- Blog post writing, copy editing and scheduling posts
- Manage and optimize google analytics
- Oversight of redesign of www.atlantabike.org
- Design and send weekly email newsletters and updates
- Edit newsletters/email blasts created by other staff as needed
Graphic Design and Layout
Working with information design consultant and volunteer salon:
- Produce two appeal letters annually
- Produce brochures, posters, postcards, etc. for outreach, education, and advocacy programs
- Assist staff and Executive Director with press relations.
- Coordinate with PR volunteer for major events and campaigns
- Content and copy editing for local magazines and newspapers
Program and other duties may include
- Manage contractors and volunteers who conduct bicycle classes
- Recruit volunteers (in collaboration with Events Manager and Membership Coordinator)
- Support other initiatives as needed
- Degree in advertising, communications, public relations or a similar area of study or equivalent experience
Key Skills and Experience
- Several years of experience in communications, marketing, or public relations fields
- Strong writing, editing, public speaking and leadership skills
- Proven experience developing and implementing marketing and communications strategies
- Experience in growing social media followers and increasing engagement.
- Function, collaborate, and meet deadlines in a fast-paced environment with competing priorities
- Keen eye for graphic design (although need not be a graphic designer per se)
- Basic photography and photo editing experience
- Familiarity with basic html and web-based applications and tools such as MailChimp, Wordpress, Eventbrite, or similar
- Mastery of Adobe Creative Suite (Illustrator, Photoshop, InDesign)
- Web design
- Video production
- App development
- Awareness of and commitment to ABC’s mission
- Familiarity with bike culture, advocacy, and organizing
- Detail-oriented with good time management skills
- Ability to be self-directed, but also to collaborate in a team setting
- Comfortable meeting and interacting with a wide range of individuals and groups
- Must be able to work M-F office hours plus events including after-hours activities and some weekends (somewhat flexible hours according to events schedule)
Position reports to Executive Director
Benefits include healthcare and dental
Apply by August 15, 2014, and expect to hear from us in early September.
Fill out this form to apply.