City of Atlanta pulls out the stops for bike facilities
This is what happens when you get involved - ABC members took the time to contact city officials to ask for bike facilities to be prioritized, and the results are in, and they are good. Quick example - Complete Streets conversion of DeKalb Avenue, with bicycle facilities all the way from the Inman Park MARTA station to city limits!
We're working on a map of the bike projects, but for now check out what Creative Loafing says about it ("Multi-use paths between parks, raised medians along Boulevard, and bike lanes aplenty: a look at Atlanta's draft list of projects to be funded with local T-SPLOST cash"), open the attachment to view the full list, or see below for the list of projects that include facilities for bicycles.
- Bolton Rd from Marietta Blvd to DL Hollowell Pkwy (US 78/US 278/SR 8) - Traffic Safety Improvements: lane conversion, intersection improvements and add bicycle facilities and sidewalks along Bolton Rd between Marietta Blvd and DL Hollowell Pkwy (US 78/SR 8), including intersection improvements at Bolton Rd at Marietta Rd, intersection improvements at Bolton Rd at J Jackson Pkwy, intersection improvements at Bolton Rd at Hollywood Rd, intersection improvements at Bolton Rd at Fulton Industrial Blvd and new sidewalk adjacent to English Park.
- Chastain Park Bicycle and Pedestrian Improvements: milling and repaving, sidewalk and ADA ramp repair and installation, new sidewalk and multi-use path construction and intersection safety improvements along Powers Ferry Rd between city limits and Roswell Rd, including intersection safety improvements at Powers Ferry Rd at Lake Forrest Dr/Putnam Cir/Putnam Dr
- Howell Mill Rd from Huff Rd to Marietta St - Complete Street: milling, resurfacing and installation of bicycle lanes along Howell Mill Rd between Huff Rd and Marietta St, including streetscape and pedestrian safety improvements
- JE Boone Blvd from JE Lowery Blvd to Northside Dr (US 41/SR 3) - Complete Street: milling, repaving, and restriping to include bicycle lanes along JE Boone Blvd between JE Lowery Blvd and Northside Dr (SR 3/US 41), including sidewalk and pedestrian safety improvements at JE Boone Blvd at JE Lowery Blvd intersection
- JE Lowery Blvd from JE Boone Blvd to Mitchell St - Complete Street: milling, repaving, and installation of bicycle lanes, sidewalks and pedestrian improvements along JE Lowery Blvd between JE Boone Blvd and Mitchell St
- MARTA West Lake Station Area Bicycle and Pedestrian Improvements: pedestrian facilities along ML King, Jr Dr from Larchwood St to Chappell Rd, including multiuse path between the Lionel Hampton Trail in Mozley Park and existing trail in Anderson Park connecting to MARTA West Lake Station, Turner Middle School, and the Kindezi Charter School
- ML King Jr Dr (SR 139) from HE Holmes Dr (SR 280) to Lamar Ave - Multimodal Corridor Improvements: This project will upgrade Martin Luther King, Jr. Drive between HE.Holmes Drive and Lamar Avenue to improve safety and accommodate multiple modes of transportation. The purpose of the proposed project is to reduce angle and rear-end crashes and improve operations and safety along this segment of roadway. The reconstruction of the existing four-lane cross-section, adding left-turn lanes, bicycle accommodations, curb and gutter, and sidewalks on a partially new alignment, will meet these objectives. The total cost of the project is $7,395,000, which will be entirely funded under TIA.
- ML King Jr Dr from Ollie St to Northside Dr (US 41/SR 3) – Complete Street: This project will implement a lane conversion along ML King Jr Dr between Ollie St and Northside Dr (US 41/SR 3) in order to add pedestrian refuge islands, on-street parking and bicycle lanes east of Sunset Ave. Neighborhood Project allocation may be used to leverage additional federal funding through the ARC Livable Centers Initiative program.
- Sutton Middle School Access Improvements: milling and repaving, sidewalk and ADA ramp repair and installation, and addition of bicycle facilities along Jett Rd between city limits and Powers Ferry Rd and Hillside Dr between Northside Dr and Powers Ferry Rd
- DeKalb Ave from Hurt St to City Limits - Complete Street: milling and repaving, sidewalk and ADA ramp repair and installation, reversible lane removal and addition of bicycle facilities along DeKalb Ave between MARTA Inman Park-Reynoldstown Station (Hurt St) and city limits, including bicycle and pedestrian improvements at DeKalb Ave at Oakdale Rd/Whitefoord Ave and DeKalb Ave at DeKalb Pl/Rocky Ford Rd and pedestrian safety improvements in the vicinity of MARTA Edgewood-Candler Park and East Lake Stations
- Moreland Ave (US 23/SR 42) Pedestrian Improvements and Lane Conversion: streetscape and pedestrian improvements along Moreland Ave (US 23/SR 42) between Mansfield St and DeKalb Ave, including installation of mid-block crossing between Mansfield Ave and Euclid Ave and lane conversion between Euclid Ave and DeKalb Ave to add bicycle facilities, median and/or on-street parking
- Moreland Avenue (US 23/SR 42) at Arkwright Place - Multi-modal Intersection Improvements: This project will reconstruct the intersection of Moreland Avenue (US 23/SR 42) at Arkwright Place. The east and west legs of Arkright Pl will be converted to right-in right-out through the installation of a raised median on Moreland Ave (US 23/SR 42) and a new bicycle and pedestrian crossing with appropriate countermeasures will be installed at the intersection. Multi-use path approaches to the bicycle and pedestrian crossing will also be constructed as part of this project. The two blocks of Arkwright Pl between Cleveland St and Mortimer St will be reconstructed to include bicycle and pedestrian facilities. Consolidated bus stops and associated passenger amenities and facilities will be installed on Moreland Ave (US 23/SR 42) at Arkwright Pl. Neighborhood Project allocation may be used to leverage additional federal funding through the ARC Last-mile Connectivity, Traffic Safety and Operations and Freight Safety and Operations programs.
- Grant Park Bicycle and Pedestrian Improvements: milling and repaving, sidewalk and ADA ramp repair and installation, lane conversion, intersection improvements, addition of on-street parking and/or bicycle facilities and bicycle and pedestrian safety improvements along Boulevard between Memorial Dr (SR 154) and McDonough Blvd (SR 42 Spur), including roundabout construction at Englewood Ave; traffic calming and bicycle and pedestrian safety improvements along Cherokee Ave between Memorial Dr (SR 154) and Mead St, including addition of bicycle facilities between Woodward Ave and Georgia Ave
- Piedmont Ave from Cheshire Bridge Rd to ML King Jr Dr - Multimodal Corridor Improvements: This project will provide multimodal improvements along the Piedmont Avenue corridor from Cheshire Bridge Road to Martin Luther King, Jr. Drive. Improvements will include sidewalk repair and installation, Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) ramp upgrades, milling and resurfacing, associated traffic studies, pavement markings, signage and street lights, as appropriate. The northern end of the corridor is part of the Regional Thoroughfare Network, with the remainder on the Regional Strategic Transportation System. Piedmont Avenue between Cheshire Bridge Road and Ralph McGill Boulevard is designated as a core bicycle connection in the Connect Atlanta Plan. The total cost of the project is $3,604,908, which will be entirely funded under TIA.
- Adams Dr Bridge: reconstruct Adams Dr bridge at Utoy Creek as a multimodal facility with bicycle and pedestrian accommodations
- Cascade Rd/Ave from Herring Rd to RD Abernathy Blvd (SR 139) - Complete Street: milling and repaving, sidewalk and ADA ramp repair and installation, bus stop improvements and lane conversion to add bicycle lanes, two-way left-turn lane and median/pedestrian refuge islands along Cascade Ave/Rd between Herring Rd and RD Abernathy Blvd, including the addition of a left-turn only lane on Cascade Ave eastbound to RD Abernathy Blvd (SR 139) northbound.
- Greenbriar Pkwy/Continental Colony Pkwy Complete Street: milling and repaving, sidewalk and ADA ramp repair and installation, and add bicycle facilities along Greenbriar Pkwy and Continental Colony Pkwy between Campbellton Rd and Hogan Rd.