City-wide bicycle suitability map in the works
Our bicycle suitability maps select and rate streets red-yellow-green according to how bikeable they are. ABC staff and volunteers created a great guide to Downtown/Midtown streets (also see Emory and Perimeter maps) several years ago (last updated in 2009) but recognize the need to expand to cover the entire city and beyond. So we've pulled together a group of volunteers to create a city-wide map. We will need your input and guidance - the process we've outlined goes like this:
1. Create GIS file with existing bike maps (suitability maps, bicycle facilities e.g. bike lanes and multiuse paths)
2. Identify which streets to rate (seek input from bicyclists on which "local" streets should be included).
3. Apply Bicycle Level of Service formula for initial, data-based ratings.
4. Share with bicycle communities for feedback (via online means and through charettes)
5. Second draft with user input
6. Organize volunteers to ground-truth ratings, especially of those streets rated yellow.
7. Third draft for final comment and review.
8. Work with graphic designer (let us know if you're interested) to format the map for dissemination.