- Get involved
Things about bikes that are AWESOME
They are simple, subtle things, each small item battleship big and mountain range grand, in its own way. No surprise that bicycles are on there.
Take awesome thing #640, Whipping Down the Hill Really Fast After Pedaling Hard All the Way Up. Read it. Awesome, right? You know it, you've done it!
We talk all the time, constantly, about how awesome bikes are, but what are the little things, the special things, the minutely mammoth moments that stick in your mind like winter oatmeal to your ribs?
- The sun slanting just so, angled so you ride beside your shadow, and you pedal faster, and he pedals faster, and you race each other to the store, laughing.
- Patting your bellies and burping, and saying, "Excuse me," with your two friends, pulled up to a stop light after a big pancake breakfast.
- When riding through Atlantic Station one afternoon, a pretty young woman on the sidewalk cups her hands around her lovely smile to shout after you, "I love your socks!" exactly what you secretly hoped that morning would happen when you selected them.
- Meeting someone for the first time at the bike rack, at the end of the day, and each of you saying, "Oh, so you're that bike."
- Riding farther than you ever thought you could, be it 10 or 100 miles, and having someone say to you, "Wow, that is really far."
- Adding those new grips or that new pump, fastening that new bell, and feeling your bike move somehow that much faster, imbued with that much more agility.
- Hopping off your bike at St. Charles Place and walking it casually, coolly, up the sidewalk to Ponce de Leon past all the motorists waiting through three lights, and knowing they are grinding their teeth as you stroll to the head of the line.
And what else? I want to hear from you what about bikes are awesome, and don't gimme this garbage about completing a triathlon or century race, or carbon fiber, or anything like that. I'm after the jubilations and joys you can get only from this regal vehicle.