- Get involved
- Atlanta Streets Alive
- Bike Friendly Neighborhoods
- Connecting the City
- Bike lanes for bikes
- Our reports and studies
- Streetcar track safety
- Buy stuff
Starter Bikes is a collaborative project with Georgia Tech's Students Organizing for Sustainability and the Atlanta Bicycle Coalition. Volunteers refurbish abandoned and donated bikes into low-cost, entry level bicycles for students and community members in need of inexpensive but reliable transportation. The program is also available for people who would like to try a bike, but don't want to make a large up-front investment until they have more experience.
If you or someone you know is looking for a bike, or if you'd like to start volunteering with the project, please visit the "cage" on the bottom level of the Georgia Tech Campus Recreation Center parking deck to select your bike.
HOURS: 4-6 p.m. Fridays
DIRECTIONS: to Starter Bikes @Georgia Tech Campus Recreation Center
Click here for Google Map to Campus Recreation Center
Once you arrive, follow these directions to the "cage":
From the front of the Campus Recreation Center, find the stairs that descend between the CRC and the attached parking deck. Descend two flights, to the bottom level of the parking deck; Starter Bikes is in a chain link cage in the SE corner.
Once you've visited the cage and are ready to make your investment in clean, green and lean transportation, make your payment and ride into the sunset on your shiny (re)newed bike.
Bikes are available in a range of prices, from Free to $150 depending on quality and condition.
- Working bikes range from $50-$150 depending on quality.
- If a bike requires repair, the price is reduced by anywhere from $5-$50 depending on how much work is needed. If you fix it up yourself, you get it for the cheaper price. Don't worry if you don't have any experience in bicycle repair, we're here to help you learn.
Prices designated by Starter Bike Volunteer Manager - thanks for not haggling. To purchase a bike, visit the "cage" on the Georgia Tech campus.
Condition and terms
All bikes are sold in working condition, but you will be asked to sign a waiver recognizing that these are used bikes - refurbished but not perfect - and that all bikes require maintenance to stay in working condition.
We'll buy back the bike for the original price minus a rental fee. The rental fee is $10/week, until it reaches half the cost of the bike. After that, it doesn't increase. We won't buy back after 6 months. Any damage to the bike when it is returned increases the rental fee.
- Locks: Customers are strongly encouraged to purchase a lock for $20 - think of this as a warranty for your bike! Our locks are sturdy U-locks, much more secure than cables.
- Lights: A front white light and red rear reflector are required under Georgia law when riding in low-light conditions. Get your set of front and rear lights for just $5!
- Helmets: Just $10! When something so inexpensive could save your life, isn't it worth it?