About Starter Bikes
Starter Bikes is a partnership between ABC and the Georgia Tech student group Students Organizing for Sustainability (SOS). Volunteers refurbish donated bicycles. To cover the parts and warehouse space costs, we then sell the bikes at low rate to students and others in need of affordable transportation.
Starter Bikes currently has a solid inventory of low-cost, trustworthy bikes ready to be matched with a new bike commuter.
If you or someone you know is looking for a bike, or if you'd like to start volunteering with the project, please visit the "cage" on the bottom level of the Georgia Tech Campus Recreation Center parking deck (MAP HERE) to select your bike (embedded below).
Once you've visited the cage and are ready to make your investment in clean, green and lean transportation, make your payment and ride into the sunset on your shiny (re)newed bike.
(only after coming to an agreement with a Starter Bikes volunteer.)
About Starter Bikes
Starter Bikes is a collaborative project with Georgia Tech's Students Organizing for Sustainability and the Atlanta Bicycle Coalition. The goal is to refurbish abandoned bikes into low-cost, entry level bicycles for students and others in need of inexpensive but reliable transportation.
We have 3 levels of bikes available, ranging in cost from free to $150 depending on the quality and condition of the bike. Prices designated by Starter Bike Volunteer Manager - thanks for not haggling.
- Working bikes ranging from $50-150 depending on quality
- Bikes that can be fixed up. If you fix it yourself, you can have it at a VERY reduced price ranging from $10-50.
- Parts bikes. Free. If you want to Frankenbike a couple together, you may do so, or if you need parts for another bike, you can take them.
Location and Hours
Bikes are currently available during volunteer hours at the "cage" located on the bottom level of the Campus Recreation Center parking deck on Georgia Tech's campus Fridays from 4-6 pm.
View Larger Map
Condition and terms
All bikes are sold in working condition, but you will be asked to sign a waiver recognizing that these are used bikes - refurbished but not perfect - and that all bikes require maintenance to stay in working condition.
We are focused on increasing bike ownership but do offer a program whereby we will buy back your bicycle if you only need one for a short period of time. Buyback rates are $20/week for bikes returned in original condition. Rates may be adjusted if bike is damaged while in your care.
- Locks: Customers are strongly encouraged to purchase a lock for $20 - think of this as a warranty for your bike! Our locks are sturdy U-locks, much more secure than cables.
- Lights: A front white light and red rear reflector are required under Georgia law when riding in low-light conditions. Get your set of front and rear lights for just $5!
- Helmets: Just $10! When something so inexpensive could save your life, isn't it worth it?